WHAT IS LEPTOSPIROSIS?
LEPTOSPIROSIS is a bacterial infection transmitted by many animals, such as rodents & other vermin. Waste products (e.g., urine and feces) of an infected animal, especially rats, contaminate the soil, water and vegetation.
Leptospira spirochetes bacteria.
HOW DO YOU GET IT?
Ingesting contaminated food or water or when broken skin or open wounds and mucous membrane (eyes, nose, sinuses, mouth) come in contact with contaminated water (usually flood water) or soil (Incubation period of bacteria is 7-10 days.)
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
-Muscle pain, headache
-Calf-muscle pain and reddish eyes
Liver / Brain involvement or Kidney failure
-yellowish body discoloration
-low urine output
-Take antibiotics duly prescribed by a physician.
-EARLY CONSULTATION IS ADVISED: Early recognition and treatment within 2 days of illness prevents complications.
-Avoid swimming or wading in contaminated or flood water.
-Wear protective clothing such as dry suits, gloves or boots.
-Drain potentially contaminated water.
-Control rodents in the household (rat traps or rat poison) in the house.